Wednesday, JUNE 28th AT 7:00 PM
THE SHORTEST DAY
SHORT FILMS WINNERS AT MESTRE MATEO 2017
This is brand new section at the GC&FF. For the first time we are bringing to New York the best galician short films 2017, "Einsten-Rosen" by Olga Osorio and "Decorado" by Alberto Vázquez. As our non-galician guest of honor we have "The Suitor" a multi-awarded short film shot in the US by the Spanish director, Álvaro Congosto. Take your seat and enjoy these delicasies!
"Summer of 1982. Teo claims he has found a wormhole. His brother Óscar does not believe him - at least not for now..."
Olga Osorio is the director, writer, editor and producer of this lovely and amusing short film, Mestre Meteo Best Short Film Winner 2017. She teaches at the IES Sound and Image School and at the Communication Sciences University in A Coruña. Her first short fiction film, ReStart (2015), was in the official selection of the Sitges Film Festival and featured at international film festivals, including Fantasia in Montreal, PIFFF in Paris, Les Utopiales in Nantes and BIFFF in Brussels. She has also directed several successful music videos.
Can you prove the Einstein-Rosen theory? Check this out!
Eistein-Rosen Year 2016 Runtime 9.22 min. Country Spain Director Olga Osorio Script Olga Osorio Music Sergio Moure Cinematography Suso Bello Cast Xúlio Abonjo, Ricardo de Barreiro, Teo Galiñanes, Óscar Galiñanes Producers Juan Galiñanes, Olga Osorio
- Best Short Film Winner at Mestre Mateo Awards, 2017, Spain
- Best SciFi Comedy 42 Boston SciFi Film Fest, February 2017, USA.
- 23rd FANT 2017 – Festival de cine Fantástico de Bilbao (Sección Panorama Fantástico en corto, Bilbao, Spain.
- Best Fiction Film – CineGlobe – Film Festival at Cern, March 2017, Switzerland.
- Best Short Film - SCINEMA International Film Festival 2017, June 2017, Australia.
- Audience Award – 14th Cortisonici , April 2017, Varesse, Italy.
- Press Award – Cluj Shorts – International Short Film Festival,April 2017, Romania.
- Etheria Film Night 2017 (Official Selection, Los Angeles, USA)...and many, many more.
Decorado is an extraordinary animated short 2D film directed by Alberto Vázquez, and awarded Goya 2017 for Best Fiction Short Film. This is the third short film in the trajectory of the galician director after "Birdboy" (2011) and "Sangre de unicornio" (2013). Alberto Vázquez has a personal and unique narrative universe, and has just released his first film, "Psiconautas, the forgotten children", nominated to the European Film Award and Goya Award 2017 Winner.
Decorado ("Scenery") is an ironic and existentialist fable about the meaning of life and our relationships. It´s a hybrid between horror story and subversive comedy yet a very personal work for Vázquez. The story is played by animals, typical in traditional animation, but who have very human feelings and problems, thus "Decorado" contrasts form and content while sprinkling the film with a corrosive sense of humor.
The work´s premiere took place in May 2016 at the Cannes Directors' Fortnight, followed by Annecy International Animation Festival in June as the only Spanish short film to compete in this prestigious event.
Decorado Year 2016 Runtime 11 min. Country Spain Director Alberto Vázquez Script Alberto Vázquez Music Victor García Cinematography Martín Romero Art director Alberto Vázquez Animators Pamela Poltronieri, Roc Spinet, Khris Cembe Producers Iván Miñambres, Nicholas Schmerkin Genre Fiction -Animation 2-D
- Best Short Fiction Film at Mestre Mateo Awards 2017, Spain.
- Best Short Fiction Film at Goya Awards 2017, Spain.
- Milan Film Festiva, Audience Award, 2016, Italy.
- Best National Short Film 3D Wire, 2016, Spain.
- Official Section at Prix Festival Connexion, 2016, Annecy, France.
- Best Animated Short Film, FanCine, 2016, Spain.
- Best International Animated Short Film Curtas Vila do Conde, 2017, Portugal ...and many, many more.
October 30th, 1938. During Orson Welles' infamous radio broadcast of War of the Worlds, a lonely man tries to bond with a panicked young woman as they fearfully wait for the end of the world together.
Halloween’s Eve of 1938, Orson Welles broadcast a radio adaptation of War of the Worlds. Thousands of radio listeners witnessed what they thought it was the End of the World. The narration of a presumed alien Invasion caused numerous panic scenes in New York City and many other places in the country. Heart attacks, nervous breakdowns, people screaming on the streets... All those stories are well known nowadays. Unlike The Suitor story.
The Suitor is a fiction film about a lonely man who thanks to this radio show, had the chance to spend one night in companion. The happiest night of his life.
Álvaro Congosto, is a Spanish independent filmmaker from Madrid located on the East Coast of the US. His latest films The Dress, Uncle Phil and The Suitor have been screened and awarded in hundreds of international film festivals. He teaches Film Production at Boston University and Wheaton College and has been a Fulbright grantee.
The Suitor Year 2017 Runtime 11:58 min. Country USA Director Álvaro Congosto Script Samuel Laskey Sound Erich Hochstrasser Cinematography Jim Dandee Art director Larry Vigus Cast Bates Wilder, Courtland Jones, Eric Lutes, John Gigliotti Executive Producers Alvaro Congosto Michael Callahan Patric J Arnold.
- Best Short Film at New Jersey Film Festival - 2017, USA.
- Best Short Film at The New Classic Cinema Festival, 2017, USA.
- Best Director at Queens World Film Festival -2017, USA.
- Best Cinematography at Indieworks, , 2017. USA.
- Best English Short Film at Manzana Rec, 2016. Spain.
- Best Actor at Festival de Cine Fantástico de Torremolinos, 2017, Spain.
- Finalist at USA Film Festival, 2017, USA.
- Selected at Montreal World Film Festival, 2017, Canada...and many, many more.